Please note that membership of HETAS and APICS, as listed below, are per individual and NOT ALL WILKINS CHIMNEY SWEEPS are members of one or both organisations. Please see the individual sweep details to establish which membership and/or qualifications they carry.
ALL WILKINS CHIMNEY SWEEPS work to the code of conduct (see below) of our chosen professional association: APICS (Association of Professional Independent Chimney Sweeps).
WILKINS CHIMNEY SWEEP practical trainers are HETAS Approved Chimney Sweeps and APICS members and sweeps are trained to the standard set by both organisations.
APICS are the only organisation which insists on a Police Check as one criteria for new membership (it should be noted all WILKINS CHIMNEY SWEEPS have a clean Police Check irrespective of membership).
There are only three chimney sweeping associations in the UK who are recognised by HETAS – see right – and APICS is one of them. The other two are Guild of Master Sweeps and National Association of Chimney Sweeps.
All Wilkins Chimney Sweeps work to the code of conduct (see below) laid down by our chosen professional association: APICS (Association of Professional Independent Chimney Sweeps).
HETAS (Heating Equipment Testing and Approval Scheme) HETAS is the official body recognised by Government to approve biomass and solid fuel domestic heating appliances, fuels and services, including the registration of competent installers and servicing businesses.
Chimney sweeping is a largely unregulated industry but HETAS provides a ‘HETAS Approved Chimney Sweep’ registration. Chimney sweeps holding this qualification have been trained and taken an exam of competence. Their technical understanding of open fire and woodburner installations will be high and therefore are able to advise accordingly.
APICS Code of Conduct
- To hold adequate public liability insurance.
- To give the public a reliable, efficient sweeping service.
- To ensure that APICS standards are maintained.
- To, at all times, carry sufficient equipment to complete the work they are employed to do.
- To take all reasonable precautions to ensure the safety of the customer and their premises.
- To ensure that premises are kept clean by using suitable equipment and an industrial vacuum.
- To ensure that the chimney has had a suitable brush passed through the entire length of the chimney (cowl permitting) and that all resulting (loose) soot has been removed.
- To fully inform the customer, in writing, of any problem that has been detected.
- To advise the customer/client of the importance of having a chimney swept to the requirements of BS EN 15287-1:2007 including the dangers of CO poisoning.
- Members are required to register as HETAS approved sweeps within 18 months of becoming full members.
- Members are expected to maintain records of work they have carried out (for at least 12 months) in case of any subsequent investigation in which APICS may be expected to play a role.
- Members are required to undergo a criminal record check.