Keep Safe – Use a Professional!
Our team at Wilkins Chimney Sweep have been very busy sweeping chimneys and now removing nests built during the spring. It is critical that we now install some form of bird guard for our customers and have been horrified to find people have been sold unsuitable, and sometimes dangerous, options by builders or occasionally other chimney sweeps.
There are a few criteria for fitting a suitable bird guard:
- It needs to prevent birds getting in!
- If the flue is going to be used, the bird guard needs to be fitted to ensure that we can sweep fully into the unit to maximise the chimney clean and ensure there are no further blockages.
- In the event that the flue is not going to be used, it must still allow for air flow in the chimney to prevent damp.
- The bird guard should be suitable for the property e.g. our customer might like something that matches the colour of the pot if there is one!
Our guys have reported instances when they have gone onto the roof to check a problem and the birds have pulled off mesh wiring and made a nice nest with it in the chimney! The problem with the nests, aside from smoke into the room, is the potential for carbon monoxide poisoning as it blocks a vent into a room. In addition they can cause damp as a result of the blockage. So worth getting rid of and preventing further problems.
Adrian Steel in North Hampshire has just completed a job where the customer had had a DANGEROUS ‘terminal’ installed by a builder – the unit is clearly marked as unsuitable for use on a live flue – this clay bonnet terminal cannot be swept into and it provides a nice shelter for the birds – they love them! It is dangerous because this terminal may prevent fumes from escaping when a fire is lit. The final no-no for us is that it is a terracotta unit in a buff pot – not great to look at!
As a Which? Trusted Trader we have to deliver every time – a professional job is required. Don’t be fooled by people who don’t have to take the consequences for their actions. We take a little extra care and ensure that we fit the correct cowl properly!
- It is secured tot he pot so it can be swept into
- The mesh is big enough to prevent clogging with soot and tar
- The top helps to keep the rain out
- The whole thing will prevent birds nesting in this chimney
- We fitted this from a ladder too…it helps to keep the price down for our customers.
Keep Safe & Ask a Professional!